Right now, I’m calling it the Great Orange Monster. Officially it has no name yet.
Yes it’s a fixie. Just shaddap.
- Frame and Fork: Schwinn Le Tour (1980)
- Headset: Shimano 600 headset – sealed bearings
- Stem: Dimension
- Handlebar: Nitto bullhorn – compliments of Greg at ABR
- Brake Levers: Tektro Time Trial Levers
- Brakes: Dia-Compe U-Brakes – to convert the wheels to 700c (not 27″)
- Front Wheel: Shimano hub, 14g, 3 cross, Mavic CXP22 Rim 32h
- Rear Wheel: Surly Flip flop track hub, 14g 3 cross, Mavic MA3 32h (64 inch gear)
- Crankset: Shimano Compact Drive 50T chainring
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano outboard bearing BB
- Chain: Shimano
- Cog: Surly 21t
- Tires: Continental Grand Prix 3000
- Pedals: Shimano SPD-520
- Seatpost: Unknown
- Saddle: Only the best – Brooks
- Fenders: SKS – painted to match
- Computer: Sigma Sport 1200
Gearing is a 50×21. According to Sheldon Brown’s Gear Calculator that gives me 62.6 gear inches. Translation – good for climbing hills, and hellish for going down them. Wouldn’t mind losing a tooth.
She rides really well, and is a lot of fun. I took her on Slow Sunday up to Carkeek Park and back with minimal problems. Only had to walk it up one hill. Obviously, still getting used to all this.
I had to replace the blue pedals unfortunately with my colorless SPD’s because thats what I have on the Rooster, but I also replaced the crappy cruiser handlebars and brakes with these bullhorns and sexy sexy silver time trial levers, then wrapped the bars in that blue tape. I think it looks nice. The guy did a very nice job with the paint. Seriously, it’s the best rattlecan job I’ve ever seen, pinstriping and all. But he didn’t lacquer it, which I don’t get. Short of having to totally disassemble the whole bike, I bought some spray lacquer and lacquered it in place after a couple quick dings. Not much else I could do. Seems to hold up well enough. The pinstriping on the fenders matches the paint on the frame. Nice detail. I also replaced the Fizik saddle with a black Brooks, post haste.
So, I now have this sexy bike to do this fixie experiment with. Woot. Go me I guess.